Login

Churches & Religion

Our researches so far have not established that there were any other religious centres for the Culbokie community to attend closer than the church at Ferintosh.

Urquhart Church is currently being converted into a private house, but the remains of the previous church and the old cemetery are well worth a visit. The original bell can be seen in the Culbokie Church Centre. See also below in the Gallery.

The Highland Historic Environment Record (HER) database for the parish of Urquhart and Logie Wester contains several references to churches and a selection is included here. The records often contain very little information apart from the location shown on a map and cross references to other sources of information. 

https://her.highland.gov.uk/Monument/MHG16724 Ferintosh Free church

https://her.highland.gov.uk/Monument/MHG56809 Photos of the Free Church urinal

https://her.highland.gov.uk/Monument/MHG16302‚Äč Old Urquhart burial ground very good photographs.

https://her.highland.gov.uk/Monument/MHG9078 Old Urquhart parish church ruin

https://her.highland.gov.uk/Monument/MHG16246 Former Urquhart church manse

https://her.highland.gov.uk/Monument/MHG16274 Former Urquhart church, now being converted into private house.

Inscription below.
Inscription below.
June 1990 - Elders with Rev. Dr William Young. Mairi Wallace, Jack Sinclair, Alan Kilpatrick, Capt. Ian Elliot, Charles Macdonell. - MW
June 1990 - Elders with Rev. Dr William Young. Mairi Wallace, Jack Sinclair, Alan Kilpatrick, Capt. Ian Elliot, Charles Macdonell. - MW

This bell is from the Old Urquhart Church which went out of use in 1792. It was kept in the Urquhart Church until 2005. It has been placed here in the Culbokie Church Centre as a reminder of our previous churches.

April 2012

sitemap | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement